Fitz’s Restaurant – New Location
Fitz’s was originally a drive-in hamburger stand located on Brentwood Blvd, in the St. Louis suburb of Richmond Heights. The root beer was first produced in 1947 and sold alongside hamburgers and fries. Beverage production was discontinued when the original restaurant was shut down in 1970. Fifteen years later, the root beer was brought back in its original recipe. In the early 1990s, a new location in the Delmar Loop was purchased and vintage bottling equipment installed.
Earlier this year Fitz’s approached a St. Louis design firm who was instrumental in reviving the Fitz restaurant’s bottling operations. The St. Louis design firm then engaged ibds, PC to provide space planning and new construction design. In addition to providing space planning for the new 9,000 restaurant space to be located in an existing building shell, ibds was also instrumental in the design of the building’s exterior implementing their expertise with 3D modeling and visualization which was instrumental in communicating the design concept to the existing building Owners and Fitz’s ownership.
The new interior features a new bottling line along with their full line of soft drink flavors in addition to a full-service bar, booths and a second dairy bar for shakes and floats. The new space will seat 220 people inside with space for an additional 40 on the outdoor patio. The new location is expected to open before the year’s end.